Why hello! I didn’t see you there! You just interrupted me working hard at finishing my grad school application and a number of other things I need to finish in a timely manner.
Okay, that’s a total lie. You interrupted me INTENDING to do those things. In reality, I have spent 36 hours now enjoying what my brilliant friend Olli has termed ‘Procrastogate 2010’, where instead of doing the things that we need to do, the things that make us money or advance our lives in meaningful, I-will-not-live-in-a-box-in-the-future ways, we do, oh, pretty much anything but. Today, for example, instead of working on my stated goal of finishing the application materials due, oh, Sunday, I have done these things:
1. Go to the gym
2. Go to the grocery store
3. Make a delicious raw Tuscan Kale Salad (it’s Melissa Clark’s recipe, found here, henceforth to be known as ‘salad crack’ as it is so addictive and amazing).
4. Make delicious Red Lentil Soup with Lemon (also Melissa Clark’s recipe, found here – what can I say, her recipes are delicious and she’s my current raging foodie crush).
5. Do the laundry that was piling up in its basket
6. Write thank-you notes for Christmas gifts
7. Make ciabatta bread, or rather start the long process of making ciabatta bread. I have grown used to the quick bread recipes in ‘Artisan Breads in 5 Minutes a Day’, so the conventional process seems sooooooo loooooooong. It’s in it’s second rising now – I didn’t time this well, so it will most likely be finished sometime around 3 AM. Which is also probably when I’ll actually finish the assigned task for the day.
8. Write a blog post for the Liz Caplan Studios blog, which you should all read. http://lizcaplanblog.wordpress.com/
9. Write a blog post for the Christmas Club Blog, which you should all read. http://christm.us/
10. Write a blog post for this blog, which you are currently reading (ooh!! meta).
So basically, although I have achieved almost nothing of the task I set out for today, I managed to be far more productive than I would otherwise have been (and let’s be clear here, I am no productivity powerhouse. I have been known to sit in one place for so many hours watching Dexter on netflix that I worried I would start to mildew, like a sloth.) So I’m thinking that I will try to work this into a resolution for next year – if I am going to procrastinate (which I imagine I will do frequently, unless I become a fundamentally different person), I must at least procrastinate productively.
Although it should be noted that the definition of ‘productivity’ can include ‘study of human society by watching many hours of ‘The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills’.
Alright, time to get back to work. Oh wait, it’s been two hours since I made a meal – I best get on that first.