I am prone to looking for life guidance signs in the strangest of places (sometimes I leave it to my ipod shuffle to provide an answer to whatever question with the next song title it brings up; this works when it’s ‘Always Look On the Bright Side of Life’, not so much when it’s ‘Act II: Scene II: “…Domenica..”) and lately, I have realized that ‘Unblock Me’, the game I play on the way to work in which you move blocks of different sizes around to allow a red block to escape, contains hidden wisdom (it’s called ‘Unblock Me’, so I don’t know why I was surprised, really).
So, with no further ado, ‘All I Need to Know From Life I Learned from the game ‘Unblock Me’:
1. There is always a solution.
2. Sometimes you have to move backwards to get to the goal that’s right in front of you.
3. You can’t make something that only moves sideways go forward.
4. Any problem, no matter how stuck you are, will become far clearer when you take a break from it for a while.
5. Even if you can’t see the end of the puzzle yet, keeping the pieces moving, even if their movement seems counter-intuitive, can only help you figure it out.
6. At the end of this puzzle is another puzzle waiting, then another. No individual puzzle is the end of the game.
7. Wearing red in a sea of beige really does make you stand out.
8. That being said, if you are the only one wearing red in a sea of people wearing beige, chances are that is not the place for you, and you should look for a way to get out.
So there you go – next week, ‘Pac-Man is from Mars, Ms. Pac-Man is from Venus‘. Just kidding.